Postgraduate research, building on knowledge
11 September 09:00 – 13:30
Postgraduate design research in South Africa ranges from fairly ‘traditional’ research projects to those with less conventional approaches. The plurality of approaches accepted in design research comes with advantages and risks. For instance, DHET funding has only recently been made available to practice-based researchers, institutional research committees may consider unfamiliar methods to be unacceptable and examiners may evaluate research projects from a narrow framework.
In this DEFSA workshop three leading Design research supervisors discuss their experience of the challenges regarding:
- undergraduate design student’s readiness for postgraduate studies
- postgraduate supervision and
- the assessment of Masters and Doctoral work in design
Delegates will have the opportunity to debate the examples provided and their own experiences and to propose possible solutions and guidelines.
Workshop runs from 09:00 to 13:00. Tea and coffee will be served.
- Membership discounts apply to Individual and Student members as well as academic staff and students at DEFSA member institutions.
- Early Bird Discount requires registration and payment before 30 June 2019.
- Student rates are for full-time students (excludes full-time academic staff)
- Refunds will only be issued if cancellation is made in writing before 16 August 2019.
Fees: DEFSA members (institutional, individual and student)
- R500 early bird rate for DEFSA members, registration and payment received before 30 June 2019.
- R600 for DEFSA members payment between 1 July and 7 August 2019
- R200 full-time students
- R700 early bird rate for non-DEFSA members registration and payment received before 30 June 2019.
- R800 for registration for non-DEFSA members payment received between 1 July and 7 August 2019
- R300 full-time students of non-DEFSA member institutions (Excluding staff) registration and payment by 7 August 2019.